Friday 1 November 2013

BBC Sherlock

I've been putting off writing this review because when I write reviews about things that I really love, it feels like I'm just fangirling about the chosen subject for several paragraphs.
However, I am now going to attempt to write a decent review of this show without geeking out on you all (too much).

I first discovered Sherlock in January of 2011, just a few months after the first series aired. At that point, I was already a big Sherlock Holmes fan from reading the books, but had been greatly disappointed with the only on-screen adaption I had seen thus far, that being the 2009 movie starring Robert Downey Jr. (I will be going further into that in another review).
I was instantly intrigued by the idea of a present day adaption and watched all three of the episodes in the first series. I loved it.

The casting was perfect, the character portrayal was very well done and tweaked just the right amount to fit into the modern setting, and even though every episode was based on one or more stories from the original canon, the plots were cleverly done and changed enough to make it as much of a mystery for old Holmesians and new watchers alike.
Holmes and Watson are wonderfully acted by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. They have great chemistry onscreen and it's a pleasure to watch them play out the famous friendship and partnership between their characters.

As far as ratings and age appropriateness go, it is rated 14A and I suggest keeping to that rating.
Several characters are shown using various weapons. There is some language, smoking, and references to drug use. There are also some scenes in episode one of series two that have suggestive content, and episode two of that same series has some scenes that could be frightening for younger children.

I honestly could say so much about this fantastic show, but I think it's best to let Sherlock speak for itself. I don't want to give away any spoilers.
As a whole, the show is brilliantly done and I highly recommend it to anyone.

No comments: