Monday 1 September 2014

Howl's Moving Castle, the book


          Most anime fans will know the Studio Ghibli movie, Howl's Moving Castle. However, not many know about the original creator of Howl's world. Writer Diana Wynne Jones was a British children and adult fantasy writer. Sadly, this talented woman died the year 2011, unable to finish many more stories she had hoped to write. I read the book years ago along with my cousin (both of us anime and book fans) after watching the movie. I instantly fell in love with the world, the characters and the author's writing skills. I have read this "children's fictional" literature three times since and enjoy its contents every time.
     For those who are unfamiliar with movie or book, Howl's Moving Castle is filled with wonderful magic, living scarecrows, transforming dogs, evil witches, vain wizards, demons, and of course a moving castle. It has its comedy, its clumsiness, its bit of romance and its elusive curse.
      The enjoyment Miss Diana had while creating this world is clearly seen within the pages. Her humor is also very clear, as well as her British origins which adds flavor to the written word.
     I do question her use of the word 'demon' since our friend Calcifer is anything but a demon. I suppose an appropriate word for a fire creature would be hard to classify.
     Miss Diana has written two other books following Howl, Calcifer and Sophie in their adventures. Castle in the Air, and House of Many Ways. Both oozing with magic and strange creatures.

"How about making a bargain with me?" said the demon. "I'll break your spell if you agree to break this contract I'm under." 

P.S Doing a quick Google search on Miss Diana--thank you Wikipedia--I discovered when studying at Oxford two of her professors were none other than J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis. How lucky was she? 

Here's another curse, may all your bacon burn.
Thanks for reading. 


No comments: