Tuesday 13 May 2014

The Amazing Spiderman 2 - spoilers

  We've always known that Spiderman's most important conflict has been with himself. The struggle between the ordinary obligations of Peter Parker and the extraordinary responsibilities of Spiderman. It is the personal difficulties of this split personality that lies at the heart of every Spiderman film, and it is these personal difficulties that made me fall in love with Spidey in the beginning. Peter Parker is an underdog in the purest sense of the word, and it seems that it is all the more clear in both this film and the previous Spiderman sequel. And if there is one thing I love, it's the underdog.

  I enjoyed the first Amazing Spiderman film from 2012, I had low expectations going into the theater, because I loved the original trilogy so much, but I was pleasantly surprised, if not blown away. Some people may think me odd for saying this, but Tobey Maguire's portrayal of Spiderman will always be the true hero for me. His innocence, his unselfishness, his decency is exemplary of the hero, and it is the honesty and sincerity of the old films that urges me to favor them over the new ones.

  That does not mean I dislike the new films. Not at all! Andrew Garfield's portrayal, while not as honest as Maguire's, is a genuine one, and his nervous energy, half-smile and sense of humor are definitely heartwarming. The Amazing Spiderman 2 gives us a clear picture of all that.

  Anyway, I won't go into a comparison of the two different series here. I enjoy them both for different reasons, and since this is a review for TASM 2, we'll talk about that instead.

  Peter Parker/Spiderman: One of my favorite things about TASM's Peter is his smart-aleck personality and his wry sense of humor. In that area, the film did not disappoint. Further, both actors, director and writers did an excellent job of showing Peter's human struggles, his desire for normal relationships and life situations, his obligation to the hero calling, and the way his burden grew over the course of the film. It is the way Peter's heart is so painfully divided that makes him interesting and endearing as a character, what makes you sympathetic to his struggles. But even more so, it is the way he time and time again rises above his circumstances to do what is right. By the film's end, we see a man changed and shaped by the trials of life, who, despite tragedy and heartache, gets to his feet again. This is the reason Spiderman is my favorite superhero. A personal hero.

  Gwen Stacy: Well, I can't say that I'm surprised at the direction Gwen's story took. The hints were all over both this and the last movie. I knew Peter breaking his promise to Captain Stacy would come back to haunt him at some point. That aside, I think it's still safe to say I was pretty heartbroken by her death. I liked how they played it out, she falls but he catches her, she falls again and he catches her again, but the third time, he's just a second too late...
  Aside from the obvious, I think Gwen's character development was well done. In some instances she reminded me of Mary Jane from the previous trilogy, complaining about Peter's desire to keep her safe, but I can understand where she's coming from. It's such a shame that Gwen was killed off in this film, she is a great character played by a fantastic actress and her chemistry with Peter is so beautiful. I might just cry now...

  Harry Osbourne/Green Goblin: I was skeptical of this aspect of the films, wondering why Harry's character hadn't been introduced in the first installment and balking at the idea of someone other than James Franco playing one of my favorite anti-heroes. I am pleased to say, I was FAR from disappointed. I love this Harry almost as much as the old one in many ways and I can't wait to see how he'll be going after Peter in future films. His descent into evil was portrayed very vividly although made less poignant by the fact that he desires Peter's blood in vengeance for himself and not his dead father. The one thing off-putting about this version of the character was the fact that he, not his father Norman, took up the role of Green Goblin and Gwen's murderer. I am curious to see how this will play out in the future.

  Max Dillon/Electro: Despite his slightly eccentric qualities, I felt incredibly sympathetic to the character of Max Dillon/Electro. His story is very good homage to what can result when we tear people down, ignore them and push them aside. Peter's friendliness was, unfortunately, too little too late. I can't help but wonder what might have resulted had someone stepped up and befriended the poor guy. He seemed like a genuinely nice person who was more victim than perpetrator, though that doesn't excuse his behaviour. I was quite saddened by his death, but those feelings were quickly made null and void by Gwen's demise and Peter's grief. However, now that I'm thinking back on it, I can definitely feel bad for poor Max, if only....

  May Parker: Both the Sally Field and Rosemary Harris versions of Aunt May are close to my heart for various reasons, but one in particular that especially stuck out in this film is the love and protection she desires to give a troubled and often distant Peter, a boy she took in and raised, a boy she loves like her own. Their relationship is one of the sweetest in the entire franchise and it makes me smile and tear up every time. One thing I am curious about is when (or if) they will have Peter confess about Uncle Ben's death. In the original films, Peter confesses in the second film, but that was notably absent here. Although it will probably break my heart all over again I would love to see it in this series at some point. Hopefully the writers can work that in there.

  Oscorp: One of the things I am really enjoying about the reboot is how Oscorp seems to be at the center of this big conspiracy. I very much enjoy intrigue and mystery so it will be interesting to see the Oscorp situation unfold over the course of the films. It's very cool to see all the layers peeling back, revealing more and more of the company's secrets. Excited for more!

  Mary Jane Watson: Actress Shailene Woodley was cast as Peter's red-haired love interest and even filmed a few scenes, but was ultimately removed from the final cut due to the already large group of characters. For my part, I would have loved to have seen her and Gwen interacting, and I am interested in seeing Shailene's portrayal of the character I loved from the original trilogy. I hope she will be in the next film, the new take on the character will be fresh and fun I think.

  Felicia Hardy: Harry Osbourne's pretty young assistant, who, in the comics, is also a villain named Black Cat, and is one of Peter's love interests, was intended to have more screentime, but again, was cut for the flow. I was interested in this girl from the get-go and disappointed to find her scenes so few. She had a mysterious, knowing quality about her and whatever she wants with Harry, it can't be good. I think they have the potential to be a really great team of Spidey antagonists if they should ever work together.

  All in all, I definitely, hands down, loved this film and I am now 100% confident in the future of the Spiderman franchise. This would easily take the third spot on my top Spidey films and I am very excited and optimistic to see what lies ahead in the films.

  Before I go, I (being a die-hard Spidey fan) would like to leave you with my favorite quote from all five of the films. I hope it will inspire you as it inspires me.

Henry Jackson: Hi, Peter!
Peter Parker: Hey, Henry! You've grown tall.
May Parker: You'll never guess who he wants to be... Spider-Man!
Peter Parker: Why?
May Parker: He knows a hero when he sees one. Too few characters out there, flying around like that, saving old girls like me. And Lord knows, kids like Henry need a hero. Courageous, self-sacrificing people. Setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero. People line up for them, cheer them, scream their names. And years later, they'll tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them how to hold on a second longer. I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.

No comments: