Sunday 16 June 2013

Hunger Games Rant

   The Hunger Games (By Suzanne Collins) is unique in that I have never read a book or watched a movie where teens kill each other and people enjoy it.

   I have never watched the movie but have read all three books, so my review will be entirely based on the books.
   To start off, the writing technique the author chose is odd and hard to catch on to for frequent book readers. She used present tense and first person, which is very different in that it is impractical. If the author was using it as a way to stand out I almost think it is the wrong way to go.
   The main protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, is not a character most people can relate to. She was in a way selfish, very rude and acted very spoiled despite a hard up bringing. Some might say she has a right to act the way she does, because of the circumstance she was in, but I disagree and say she should be more responsible and understanding for her poverty, not grouchy and stuck up.
   To go along with my disappointment upon Katniss is the love triangle created around her. (I will avoid using names for the sake of spoilers). Even though the author tried to create suspense and perhaps hope for one of her suitors, it was clear by most readers who Katniss would pick as a lover. Making the rest of the drama almost annoying and pitiful, and leaving the readers pitying the tag-along who had no chance with Katniss.
   The Hunger Games itself was revolting to even think about. To think teens are thrown into an arena to kill each other does not sound appealing. To be fair the author did explain from Katniss' point of view her disdain and disgust towards the game. However I can not see how teens enjoy reading about it so much; as if they wish to be apart of it. I do not really know if that is what fans are thinking, but that is the idea I get when I am speaking with them.
    Now on a brighter note. It has been asked of me, despite my clear dislike of this trilogy, who is my favorite character? I have to say it is Haymitch. That is right, the drunk mentor Katniss, and Peeta Mellark are stuck with. His part in the hunger games is to try and keep the two of them alive in the games for as long as possible. he is the only character I like, even though he drinks, he has common sense, and morals that I always look for in characters. He always was trying to do what was best for Katniss even when she pretty much spat in his face for her own prideful and stubborn reasons, (her reasoning made no sense to me either).
   A last note is the ending of this tale, even though Katniss ends with a happily ever after, I would still claim this story a tragedy. To many good characters died near to the end, where you are trying to keep up with all that is going on. The U-turn the author makes in the last few chapters, when Katniss was supposed to kill the main antagonist, but than doesn't and instead a whole new circumstance arises, totally threw me around wondering why it all changed so quickly.
 
   If you are still curious about this Hunger Games trilogy, even though I strongly suggest against it, I would advice you to just watch the movie (soon to be movies). I am told by many sources it is accurate to the book. So save yourself the hours and just watch the movie(s).

Thanks for reading, and tolerating my overly judgmental opinion.

No comments: